Know your heart age.

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Know your heart age.

Knowing your heart age can help prevent risk of heart attack or stroke.

 Public health in England has urged over 30 people to take online test to find out their heart age, which indicates their likelihood to suffering a heart attack and stroke.

They predicts that 80% of heart attack and stroke of those under 75 could be prevented if its health is improved.

David Green,59,took the test and discovered his heart was 10 years older than him.

"The worst moment was being told my heart is 10 years older than me and that my life expectancy was shortened," he told the BBC.

"That took some digesting for sure, but I flipped it to a positive statement to do something to reverse that scenario."

David took the test after struggling to keep up with rehearsals for his role in The Full Monty with his local theatre company in Plymouth.

"I'm 59 now so I thought 'oh maybe it'll be 62 or 63', so a whole 10 years - that was a real shocker.They told me that 'you really need to do something otherwise you're not going to see that much of your pension'.

"I think that was the main thing for me, I'd just retired, I'd like to live a bit longer thank you very much."

About two millions  people have taken the heart age test and 78% of participants have a heart age higher than their actual age. Of those, 34% were more than five years over their actual age and 14% at least 10 years higher.

Obesity, poor diet, a lack of exercise and high blood pressure are significant risk factors for the heart that can be changed.

To improve your heart health:
  • Eat more fibre
  • Quit smoking
  • Stop alcohol
  • Reduce saturated fat intake
  • Eat fruit and vegetables at least once a day
  • Maintain you weight
  • Eat seafoods
  • Reduce salt intake
  • Observe label on food package
  • Exercising


Source:BBC

Post a Comment

0 Comments